Central Forums Helpbot
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Topic: !main  (Read 1758 times)
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:37:21 AM »
Noob

View Profile

Epeen: 0

We have our !alts add/rem function but more then once have I been on an alt (new or old) and see, oh look it doesn't know I'm an alt of "Main".  It would be nice to be able to do !main add/rem <name> and have the bot add/rem us as an alt same as if we'd done !alt add/rem on our main.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 02:43:19 PM »
Apprentice coder
VhaBot Developers
Novice

View Profile

Epeen: 4

Although this seems like a great idea - it does have some practical implications. It would allow anyone to add themselves to someone else's Alts' list .. possibly people you don't want to associate yourself with. Also, as all Alts inherit the same Bot rights as their Main toon .. this could give random people unauthorised access to the bot, providing a security risk.

As it happens, there is a separate command !alts admin add <main> <alt> command, but this is typically restricted to bot Leader and above ranks to avoid just this kind of abuse.

Most people find it relatively trivial to log out, and relog their main and !alts add their new toon. I have seen instances where the Main toon has not been set as the most frequently-used character, and therefore you have to log your Main, and !alts remove all the others before you can re-add your Alts from your new Main.

I know this seems a bit awkward, but hopefully you can now see the reasoning behind it!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 12:45:57 PM »
Noob

View Profile

The reasoning is sound, thanks for explaining.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 05:15:11 AM »
Noob

View Profile

What I did do to the !alts commands is allow you to add alts to your main from any of your already registered alts.  This prevents you from having to log your main just to add an alt...you can do it from any alt instead.

Comes in handy when people have several 220's and the toon they are most active on is constantly changing.

Inside the OnAltsAddCommand:
Code:
if (bot.Users.IsAlt(e.Sender))
{
    bot.Users.AddAlt(bot.Users.GetMain(e.Sender), alt);
    bot.SendReply(e, HTML.CreateColorString(bot.ColorHeaderHex, alt) + " has been added as an alt of your main " + HTML.CreateColorString(bot.ColorHeaderHex, Format.UppercaseFirst(bot.Users.GetMain(e.Sender))));
}
else {
    bot.Users.AddAlt(e.Sender, alt);
    bot.SendReply(e, HTML.CreateColorString(bot.ColorHeaderHex, alt) + " has been added as your alt");
}

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:01:02 AM by Arys »
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 03:33:40 PM »
Apprentice coder
VhaBot Developers
Novice

View Profile

Epeen: 4

One's main doesn't necessarily have to be one's most frequently used toon, so long as its active, its easy to update.

I appreciate there is some inconvenience in the way things are currently set up, but I am cautious about opening up any other methods, as there are plenty of players in AO who are likely to abuse any system which has too much flexibility.

For now, leave it with us, and we'll see if there are any good ways to open this up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: