Central Forums Helpbot
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Topic: !items relay between guest/orgchat  (Read 3150 times)
« on: March 28, 2010, 09:43:37 PM »
Apprentice coder
VhaBot Developers
Novice

View Profile

Epeen: 4

Ok, I propose a modification to the Items plugin, to add a command - !iitems -- Note: double-I -- which will forward the !items command AND results to both Guestchat/privategroup AND the org channel for when players need to exchange info between the two.

It should be available in the next release version of Vhabot Smiley Watch this space!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:04:51 AM »
VhaBot Developers

View Profile

Epeen: 5

What prevents this command from then being caught by the the bot in the guest channel and starting a chain reaction?  If you have come up with some generic fix, then why not propagate it to all bot commands?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 02:41:33 AM »
Apprentice coder
VhaBot Developers
Novice

View Profile

Its the difference between modifying the core, which filters out any commands from whatever source, thus preventing them from 'appearing' as messages for the bot to relay, and making a bodge which simply relays the requested command to the alternate channel. The bot won't detect messages from itself as anything it needs to relay .. or you'd have a permanent loop as soon as you attempted to relay Anything.
Do you follow .. or am I explaining it badly?

I think the bot works as intended, not spamming the guest channel with additional responses not relevant to it. If it becomes desirable to share commands between all the connected media .. then that is something entirely different to just being able to send specific data between people.

Edit: Conceivably, if enough people desired the option of spamming every channel with each command / whois / etc sent, then an option could be added to the Core options, to relay all commands to all external channels.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:26:46 AM by veremit »
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:38:07 PM »
Rookie

View Profile

Epeen: 0

<IF> there is enough orgs who want all info onto all channels then perhaps it would be best to set up options in core for each channel to be relay to what other channels.

So you could have the org set up different relays for their needs/wants rather than a one setting is for all approach.

As is I don’t see it being that much of a problem….. Players have different wants for different reasons
The fact that things "can" be changed or added through requests is awesome in itself so... yeah big smiles.

Support change and additions!
More is always better when it can be selected as optionally wanted by the users.
Retired President: RKA United -Hog-
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 09:59:58 AM »
Grandmaster

View Profile

Epeen: 20

It would be possible to change the behavior of SendReply (based on a setting) to duplicate output to pg and gc if the target was one of those 2 sources.
It would even be a fairly clean solution.
But it'll only work on well behaved plugins who use SendReply and it would be an 'all or nothing' for all commands.

I personally suggest we do this and not modify !items with a special option.
Things are currently setup to isolate command spam to a single channel, but if users want these to relay through, it might as well be everything or nothing.

As for the command itself (SendReply will only take care of the command output), when hooking the events for incoming messages commands are ignored with a statement in the callback.
Changing this statement to take in account the new setting should also make sure the command trigger also gets relayed.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:54:20 PM by veremit »
What isn't remembered never happened.
Memory is merely a record.
You just need to rewrite that record.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
Apprentice coder
VhaBot Developers
Novice

View Profile

Ok so a modification to !items will not be implemented.

I shall investigate the suggestions vhab has provided, and aim for a solution in time for the next Release.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 03:10:35 PM »
VhaBot Developers

View Profile

I'm not sure if anyone does this, but does anyone's bot every join some other bot's guest channel?
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 11:29:34 PM »
Grandmaster

View Profile

We don't really support this on VhaBot atm.
The implementation of this is rather incomplete in AoLib.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 05:46:53 AM »
VhaBot Developers

View Profile

No, no. Just trying to predict any ramifications of relaying commands to guest chat.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 09:47:51 AM »
Grandmaster

View Profile

Well, the relayed commands would be prefixed, noting they're something relayed.
They won't triggers bots as it looks something like [Org] Dude: !items
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: