Central Forums Helpbot
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Topic: !update  (Read 1733 times)
« on: March 06, 2011, 02:33:23 AM »
VhaBot Developers

View Profile

Epeen: 5

I know there's this whole scaling down of development and what not, but I was chatting with Mit the other day and this idea came out of a little misunderstanding...

It would be nice for people who just want to get the latest and greatest plugins without having to download and reinstall.

Does the following sound plausible?

At some point it would be great to have a "update server" which may be nothing more than a web site.  Plugin's may need a "minimum vhabot version" variable, but there would be an "!update" command that checks the web site and downloads all plugins and associated data files that nominally work with the vhabot you currently have installed.

Afterwards, you could do a !shutdown or !restart (depending on what flavor bot you got running), and presto, updated or even new plugins ready to go.

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:50:06 PM »
Rookie

View Profile

Epeen: 0

I like the idea, with a version number tag on all plug-in modules plus the core etc would allow for even plug-in updates.
Parts of the cor program that tech forum tend to do repairs and updates too would be able to get a fast inject and cor version number update, then when we users do a !update it would recognize a cor update is available or just plug-in updates.

Some users like there uptime, so it would be kind to have a "want to update now?" option Smiley

Kind of sounds like the !update itself fits nice as a plug-in not a core.
However its problem is all plug-in/cor and misc files all need a update to include a tag for version # and ofc the "consistent" number system of some sort for it to function lol.
So with little to no work being made on the bot this is another great idea shelved till time is again available in the lives of those who can program it.

If your able to track traffic flow you would also see if the users of the bot are seeking updates or happy with the bot as is. Because lets face it, not all players of the game like to use web sites…. They just play the game not checking in on web sites for updates… Even if they do come to the web site… do they know what they are looking for?

Good luck with this guys I think it would help the bot community.
Retired President: RKA United -Hog-
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:51:28 PM »
Freshman

View Profile

Epeen: 0

I have been working on this on the NewGen version of VhaBot, which will be easy to do when the engine is complete.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
VhaBot Developers

View Profile

Epeen: 5

This is done and our org bot has successfully been using it.  If you're running a full but (not the lite one) you can even !update and !restart.

It's available on my fork of the bot:

https://bitbucket.org/Llie/llie_vhabot/overview

Specifically here:

https://bitbucket.org/Llie/vhabot_plugins_default/raw/tip/Updater.cs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: